Monday, February 28, 2011

Memories form Uli (our German exchange student)

During my high school year as a German exchange student I lived with the Munns family. From the first night at what was going to be my home for the next ten months (I was dead tired after a 20 hour journey, yet so keyed up, that I kept babbling in rocky English) it was clear to me, that Terry (later I called him „Dad“ and he remained it, even though I haven’t seen my American family for over 12 years now) was the glue, that kept everything together. He radiated a contentment and a sense of delight, that was reassuring.

I often wondered, how he managed to keep calm in the midst of all the teenage drama that surrounded him at home and at school. But even though he sometimes rolled his eyes (or rather he lifted his eyebrows) on something we kids did (the Munns’ had to endure a big part of my not so pleasant teenager-days – sorry for that!), the deep love for his family was always present. At the same time he challenged us to do and become the best we could. He wouldn’t accept excuses, but kept encouraging until we could be satisfied with ourselves – a true father and teacher. Thank you for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment