Friday, April 15, 2011

Confrence Cake, Apple pie cake and other yummy recipes Dad loved

FOOD IS A TRADITION

So it's Sunday morning and I was making conference cake for my family
and got thinking about this tradition. Now I'm not sure if it was mom
or dad that started this tradition but I remember loving this. It's
probably why I've done it with my family. But it did get me thinking
about how dad would find and bring home all sorts of recipes for mom
to try. There was one recipe that dad brought home but made himself.

Apple Pie cake!
I remember Sunday evening and dad sending one of us kids down to the
fruit room to get apples. We would peel the apples and dad would mix
up the rest of the ingredients. We would have hot Apple Pie Cake with
ice cream and mom would pour canned milk over hers.

4 cups sliced apples 3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup sugar 3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon 1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional) 1 egg beaten
1 cup flour 1/3 cup
evaporated milk
3 Tble water 1/2 cup melted butter

Mix sugar, Cinnamon, chopped nuts, and apples. Put in 9x13 baking
dish. Mix the rest of the ingredients and pour over apples. (Apples
will not be completely cover) Bake at 325 for 1 hour.

He also found a recipe for cherry chocolates that he would make for christmas.

He loved to look at the recipes in the news paper and try them. Especially the sweet ones.

More times than not it would rain of conference weekend. But on the
slight chance it was good weather. Mom would pack a lunch (or we would
stop at KFC) and we would head up the canyon for the afternoon. I
remember playing in the river, making boats and racing them. Or Dad
would find a open field and we would play work up baseball with a
plastic bat and ball.

I thank my parents for the good times that make good memories.

Melis

No comments:

Post a Comment