Monday, March 21, 2011

The White Rocking Chair and The Bell in Grandma's Back Yard

The beautiful antique piano we had in our home growing up came with my Great Grandmother from England. It had a self player in it at one time, but as the story goes there was a mouse in it that she was determined to get out. She tore the self player out trying to get to the mouse. Other than the self player being out it was in great condition. We also had an old white wood rocking chair that I for some reason linked with the piano. Therefore I always thought that it was my Great Grandmothers. UNTIL, I beleive that I was home from college with one of my friends that I worked with. I sat down in the rocking chair and proudly told my friend where the chair had come from. Dad was sitting in the room and looked and me and said, "That's not where that chair came from. I stole that chair off some old lady's porch when I was at BYU." I was a little surprised, Not only to haer that it was not my Great Grandmother's and that he actually fessed up to the fact that he ruthlessly took it from some old lady's porch.

I was curious to hear the story from someone else so I asked Arlene if she knew of this. This was her response..."I don't know about the rocking chair, but I do remember him stealing the big bell at your grandma's house. He was the secretary of a club at BYU. For some reason he was suppose to watch it. He did he watched it all the way to Garland. I think he told them that somebody stole it. He neglected to tell them it was him."

This bell in no small thing. It is about 2' tall and solid as they come it has to be 100+ pounds. The bell belonged to BYU or the "BYU Young Men Fraternity" I'm not sure. It has something right on the meatal of the bell. I'll have to check it out next time I am home. I remember thinking someday BYU is going to find out that it is at Grandma's house and someone is going to be in big trouble.

No comments:

Post a Comment