Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Memories from Dad's childhood friend Marilyn Burke

It will be difficult to narrow my stories down, but I will try.
Terry and I met in kindergarten. Every day I would take some art object home to my mom after school. One day,
I came home and mom asked me what I brought home today to give to her. I moved aside and standing behind me was Terry. I brought him home to you mom. Isn't he cute?


We were usually in the same classes all through grade school. I used to take pictures with my camera once in awhile. They are black and whites, but I will try to see if I can find them.

In the third grade, I played marbles with the boys. Terry and I would win most of the games. We got everyone's steelies and Ron Thompson really got mad at us for taking all of his.

In the forth grade, Terry had a girlfriend. Donna, he went around the school ground with his arm around her.
I have a great picture of them together.

In the summer, we played with the little goats on Terry's front lawn. They would eat my socks.
We also played around the barn and walked up to the cemetary when we were bored.
There was an old building on the corner above his house where we played and threw rocks at the birds up in the top of the eaves of the bld.

It was very fun each spring to go to the canal behind Terrys on the way to the cemetary. We picked up bags full
of aspergass and took them home to our mom's.

Most of our fun was in Jr. High and High School. In Jr. High we used to go to Mrs Capners to thug watermellons.
This was with Richard, Sue Archibald and myself. Mrs. Capner would stand on her front porch and shake her cane at us to get out of her garden. We did, with the watermellons.

Playing in the ditch at the Jensens house was also fun. Our parents didn't mind. We would float down the ditch for
a few hours.

In the 8th grade, I was sent to the Red Cross clinic in Logan for a week. After I came back, Terry was teasing me that I wouldn't be able to do much with my training. We were walking from Garland across the street from the elementary
school and noticed a car stopped with a man in the car slumped over the wheel. Terry said "Give Him Mouth to Mouth:
You are trained for that now. We opened the car door and he snorted a couple of times and then started talking to us.
We started laughing so hard that we couldn't shut his door. He took off with the door open and that was our red cross work for the day.

Going to the Box Elder Fair was another great event. We both had 4H projects that we entered for ribbons. We usually got ribbons to display. And then there was the Rodeo.

I have 5 or 6 more stories to post, I will enter them in a second e-mail

Marilyn Burke

No comments:

Post a Comment