Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Memories from Dad's cousin Arlene

There are so many stories I could tell you about Terry. Terry was like a big brother to me, since mine were 10 and 13 years older than I was. When we were younger, Sue, Jody, DeeAnn and I would have sleepovers during the summers. We would always sleep outside and Terry would be outside with us.

When we both went to BYU, we rode together. We made it from BYU to Odgen in 1 ½ hours. That doesn’t seem to be a short time. The freeway didn’t go from Tremonton to Provo. We had to get off in Salt Lake City and go on the back roads. I think we hit about 90 miles an hour, when we were on the Freeway. It was a miracle that we weren’t killed or picked up for speeding.

When I met Bill we always did thinks with Terry, mostly playing cards. We really loved to play pinochle (hopefully I spelled it right), most of the time we would play with my one roommate. When we got married, we decided that my one roommate and Terry would stand in our line.

The night we got married, we went on our honeymoon in my mom and dad’s camper. I think both of them helped to pull all of the labels off the cans of food in the camper, also putting a bushel of apples in the cab and two or three bushels in the camper. Somebody went and got the truck and camper for us that night so we could go on our honeymoon. We left the church in Garland and when we got to the old East Garland Church we stopped. I thought I might have left one of my suitcases home. To our surprise when we opened the door to the camper, there were my roommate and Terry. They said that they just wanted to play cards with us. The just knew that we would all have a great time that night playing cards. After much thought, about leaving them at the old church, and letting them walk home, we took them to Uncle Blaine’s house and left them there.

When we got home from our honeymoon, we were talking to Terry and my roommate, and they told us that neither one of them had any money. So if we had just taken them with us to Logan, they would have been stuck there without any money and no car. They were just lucky that we did find them before we got to Logan.

Terry got a teaching job in central Utah. It was really boring for him, so he would come to Provo on most weekends and stay with us. I remember he had a couple of Dogs. I came home and there were Dogs in our apt.. They had messed all over the floor. I could have killed him.

One weekend we decided to take some people down and see him, and stay the night. We were playing night games in his house and somebody sat on his bathroom sink and pulled it out of the wall. We were so worried that he wouldn’t be able to fix it, I guess he did because we never heard that his landlord charged him to fix it.

There are soooooo many stories of our years at BYU. I really enjoyed his love and friendship during that time.

Arlene

No comments:

Post a Comment